Text Features Book



My students loved writing animal reports.  We first learned all about nonfiction text features.  I  made a book about non-fiction text features where you use the gradual release of responsibility model. I love teaching that way.  When you have the large range of learners that I have in my classroom it is important that direct teaching occurs and that clear expectations are taught. After teaching each text feature the students did the same in their book. You can find the non-fiction text feature book here.
Then when we got done learning all about the different text features my students made their own books.  Because we had also been doing our Country Reports the students were required to pick animals from their countries studied.  My class had African countries so the choices for animals were wonderful.  The booklets are easy to follow because each page requires certain information and text features.
These are samples of inside the books.  They had to include headings, bold print words, subheadings, a timeline, glossary, index etc...

I can guarantee my students know their text features and what was neat is they would point them out when they saw the text features in books in the classroom.
We had a lot of fun.  At the end of the year I noticed this was on many lists as their favorite project of the year.  Go figure it has something to do with animals. Please check out this unit on my teacher pay teacher site or teacher notebook.  I have  received a lot of wonderful feedback from other teachers. I am glad. Happy summer break to you all, I am teaching summer school, working on projects and hopefully relaxing a bit.

2 comments:

  1. You have so many great ideas! Do you teach a multiage class?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read your profile. Disregard the previous questions lol you do teach multiage. I also teach multiage, Im on my third year and at times Im beyond overwhelm! I wonder how do handle grading? In my school I have to give letters grades. Would love to hear your feedback :)

    ReplyDelete