Shared reading time with my youngers!



In my multiage class I switch in the afternoon with the other primary multiage teachers for word work and math.  I have the first grade students that we call youngers. I love this time of day and I am looking forward to a whole new crew this year.      

For word work time it consists of teaching phonics and how words work in general.  It is also a time where I do a lot of shared reading activities.  I love my pocket chart and I love how the students can interact with it.  Don't get me wrong, I like my smart board too, but the chart stays up and students can go back to it again and again. Every time I have a poem or chart in the pocket chart for shared reading it also becomes a word work center where students go back to it during our Cafe time as one of the daily five activities. 

So I created many poems and activities to be used during shared reading time and again during word work time during the daily five.  



You can buy each shared reading interactive chart packs separately.  There is a total of 6 or you can buy them together in one great big bundle for great big savings.
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Shared-Reading-Interactive-Charts-Bundled-1421399
What is shared reading?

Shared reading is an interactive reading experience when students join in or share the reading of a big book or other enlarged text while guided and supported by a teacher or other experienced reader.  Students observe an expert reading the text with fluency and expression. The text must be large enough for all students to see clearly, so they can share in the reading of the text.  It is through Shared Reading that the reading process and reading strategies that readers use are demonstrated.  In Shared Reading, children participate in reading, learn critical concepts of how print works, get the feel of learning and begin to perceive themselves as readers. (Fountas & Pinnell 1996)

Benefits to students

-Students can enjoy materials they may not be able to read

-Students feel successful by providing support to the entire group

-Assists students where to focus attention

-Focuses and develops concepts of print and phonemic connections

-Helps in teaching frequently used vocabulary

-Encourages prediction in reading

-Students are engaged


I keep each poem separate in baggies with the activities that go with them and they are ready to go.  The best thing about this is my students are learning so many wonderful skills and they love the charts.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment