Frigid!


Hello! Happy snow day or in this case frigid below zero for the 100th time this year day! There is a little sad and happy in that sentence.   Today I cleaned house, did some more laundry and worked on some more fun teacher stuff,  last night I bought more vitamin D at the pharmacy and stocked up on groceries to avoid going outside. That was what I did for fun. Ok, so this winter I am starting to feel a little like that movie "The Shining" with Jack Nicholson when he goes psycho because he is locked up all winter in that lodge.  Funny, I might have to watch that tomorrow because there is no school again because of weather.  That is four days this month and we are pretty hearty people up here in Northern Wisconsin. School doesn't get closed because of the cold very often but wind-chill warnings are out again for tonight and it is suppose to be pretty bad. 
Enough already! Ok so "enough" is my word for this year. So what is with the word, instead of  a New Year's resolution you find a word to live by for the year. My husband saw it on a talk show or something like that.  It took me a few days to think of a word but "Enough works for everything" Enough buying, enough eating, enough talking, enough complaining, enough working, enough well you get the idea.  It is really a good word. My husband's word is "Relax" which is a good word for him but when I see he has done that too much I just say "enough!"  See "enough" works, and I am going to keep that word for next year too.

My husband and son Logan.  The one day it was warm enough to be outside. My husband would ski everyday, that is why he needs the word "relax."  My son did not have fun, we dragged him along.
These are Yak trackers, you put them on the bottom of your tennis shoes so you can run.  They work great.  Last week I went for a run. I loved it, but it needs to be about 20 degrees or warmer for me to run outside or it is just too cold. 




This is our road out in front of the house.  It explains why I need Yak trackers on my tennis shoes.  Yes, that road has been plowed. It is very pretty here, just wish it wasn't so cold.
 
My first grade word study kids last week worked on their penguin poems.





  We first read the pocket chart poem.  They love these poems and the children reread them again and again.  They learn them quickly. They are all part of my shared reading interactive chart lessons. There are five poems altogether. You may want to check it out here. These lessons have been perfect for my first graders. Loaded with lessons, activity sheets and they can double as center ideas.
 
This penguin activity I did last year with my students and will do again with them this week once we get back from our winter hibernation. Please check out Patti Palmer's blog and lesson ideas. She is an amazing art teacher and I love her stuff.  She also sells her lessons on tpt.  




Stay warm my teacher friends. Stay warm!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment