Oceans

This past month in my classroom we learned about the Ocean and Water.  I love this unit as it is always a favorite of my students. We start off by learning about the water cycle.  This year my students made water cycle necklaces. 
Then we went into learning about the Ocean itself.  With some of my younger students (first graders) who can not read some of this text yet are partnered with olders (third graders) who love reading to these students.
 
My student's favorite thing is learning about the animals that live in the ocean.   They learned about octopuses, whales, fish and sharks, crabs and other animals. They made shark reports in small groups. They also read about octopuses and wrote 8 facts about them.  They painted big Octopuses which caught the eye of everyone walking down our hallway. 
 
 
 
 

We also compared fish to whales. 

We also read many different Ocean stories that are super fun.  We read the Pout-Pout Fish in the Big, Big Dark.  We practiced writing summaries with that story. The students paintings of Pout-Pout Fish turned out super cute.
We also made our own version of Down by the Bay called Down in the Deep.  I did this with my youngers (first graders) during word work time.
This truly is just a quick sample of this massive unit.  This unit is easy to differentiate and had many opportunities for group work which we encourage in Multiage.  You can see more of my Ocean unit in my preview in my store, and you may  also want to look at the Water Cycle unit too. 
 
Happy teaching!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment