Biographies and a Wax Museum

I have been MIA a bit this last month but I am back and hopefully more on a routine.  I so needed a little break from well, everything.  The end of the school year was exhausting and I have never felt like I needed a break that badly.  May came with the end of the year to do lists... like memory books, report cards, and lots of paper work. This year was also my formal year with the new teacher effectiveness, which meant a lot of time on my computer getting my documents in order to prove that I am an effective teacher. That's all I am going to say about that.

Anyways... The last couple of weeks of school my students worked in their memory books and in their memory journals there are many pages that ask about their favorites. Like favorite subjects, story and projects.  Hands down most students picked the Wax Museum as their favorite learning activity/project.  It was also a project we had in May. So today I am going to tell you a little about that.

Biographies are a lot of fun and as a multiage teacher I touch upon biographies each year with my students. However, every third year we (as in our multiage team) do it up BIG as so each group of students that we have gets to experience this event!  It is BIG as it will take up a lot of your time, (another reason for the exhaustion in May), it will be a BIG hit with your parents, and your students will gain BIG knowledge of important people and will gain BIG knowledge on how to write and research a biography and they will remember this project and event FOREVER.  Many students that I have had in the past like to mention the Wax Museum, my son who is 24 still will talk about the wax museum and how he loved that project, he was King Tut! 

How does it all work?
Before we began this unit this year I wanted to make this a little easier on myself and my team members so I designed a quick unit that gives you information on how to host a Wax Museum and an easy way to write the biography reports.  If you are interested, this may help you put on a great Wax Museum.

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Biographies-biography-writing-and-how-to-host-a-living-wax-museum-1808822
click on the picture to check it out on tpt
Here is the skinny....
The students research a famous person.  They find ten facts that are important.  IMPORTANT is key and difficult and needs to be taught to your students.  Then they put these in chronological order and they are displayed on their backgrounds, then my older students wrote these into reports.  They all made their backgrounds.  For the Wax Museum the students stand completely still while their parents and other classes walk through and read their ten facts.  We had some Mozart music going on in the background.

The best part is that my students learned so much from this experience.  We read our facts and reports
 to each other, we watched exciting videos and movies about the famous people and when children
were done with what they worked on they helped each other finish their research and backgrounds.

 
Thanks for reading this post.
I hope all of you are getting some rest and relaxation too!

1 comment:

  1. I'm super inspired! I definitely want to try this out next year.

    ReplyDelete